Networker

Re: [Networker] How to get a list of clients?

2008-04-01 05:21:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to get a list of clients?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:17:47 +0100
MIchael Leone wrote:
I'd like to get a list of all my clients from NW. You might think it would
be as simple as "mminfo -r client", but that doesn't seem to work. Ideally,
I'd like a unique list of clients, but I'll probably have to massage the
file myself, and that's OK.

What am I missing?

In short, what you are missing is the -a flag.

Your query will list the client attribute of all save sets written in the last 24 hours (this is explained in the mminfo man page or command reference document). The -a flag switches this to all save sets ever. Also note that if you were to add a -q (query) flag it would automatically imply the -a flag.

The above query will list the client name many times, because what you are in fact doing is listing all save sets but just displaying the client field. You will probably find it useful to pipe this through uniq, or sort -u, or whatever similar utilities you have on your OS.

Others have already responded with nsradmin based solutions, and these are good. The difference is that nsradmin will display all configured clients, whether or not they have save sets in the medis DB, whereas mminfo will display all clients that have backed up within the limits of your retention policies (and sometimes beyond), whether or not they are still defined as a current backup client. You need to decide which approach best meets your requirement.