Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux Networker client floods network?

2008-03-31 09:27:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux Networker client floods network?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:22:27 +0300
Phil Myers wrote:
Hi group.

Have any of you ever seen the following problem with a Networker client on Red Hat?

When the backup group starts, the Networker client begins broadcasting on the entire network on all VLANs, flooding the network and causing a virtual standstill. My network engineers tell me that this particular client keeps trying to broadcast to the legato server as if it can't find it. However, the data on this client is being backed up. No other applications on this particular client exhibit this behavior; network operations are only affected when this Networker client starts backing up. We have tried 7.2.2 and 7.3.3 versions of the Linux client; same result. Does this sound like a Networker client issue or do you think it would be a hardware issue?

Ouch ! I thought this was solved ages ago. Which Linux version are you using ? It happened to me a couple of times with the old Ferral client (version 5.x) in the late 90's. My understanding of the bug is that the RPC stack on Linux has a bug which causes it to enter a tight retry loop if it looses connection to the RPC server. I think I also saw this mentioned with another RPC based service. At the time it managed to bring down our Cisco 7000 router (with a very old Motorola 68k-processor). I suggest that you will make sure that the client has a stable network connection to the server.

Thanks for the help!

Phil Myers
pmyers2 AT conemaugh DOT org
Network Administrator