Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP addresses

2008-03-28 15:45:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP addresses
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:40:49 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP...:

I forget to ask, are all the known alias for the client specified on the
client definitions ?
Is it true that if FQDN is used for client name then it queries DNS first
( short name queries the host file first), i thought servers and host file
was pre-configured in this case ?
for client and the server ? was that not true ?

From memory, Stan uses a Solaris NetWorker server.  On Solaris and a lot
of other UNIX or UNIX-like platforms, you can configure what order your
"name service" looks up different types of things.  This is done
(generally) via the file /etc/nsswitch.conf, and applies to more things
than just DNS lookups.

To the best of my knowledge, when the underlying operating system call is
made to do a name resolution, it doesn't matter whether the input is just
the short name or the fully qualified name -- either way, the resolver
will abide by the order that you've established in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Unless EMC is doing something really bizarre (and very inadvisable),
I don't think NetWorker can override what the underlying resolver is
configured for.  I could of course be wrong, but if I am, I'll be very
sad to hear it.  So, no, I don't think what client name is used within
NetWorker impacts what information source NetWorker tries first for doing
forward and reverse lookups.

Having all the known aliases in the NetWorker "aliases" field is a good
idea, but in this case, I don't think it's the underlying problem.  In
Stan's case, I would be very concerned that there are so many names for
this particular client that it would overflow the field size for the
"aliases" field.  I don't know what the limit is, but I'm sure there is
one.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)