Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP addresses

2008-03-28 15:23:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP addresses
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:20:51 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP...:

Actually, I take that back. Reverse DNS does not work for the client on the NSR server, but how do I fix that?

Of course I guessed the problem was on the *client*...  ;-)

When I do a reverse for that IP, I get back a slew of responses:

        dig +short -x 155.247.166.60 | wc -l
                64

I wonder if you've exceeded some limit (either in general, or in
NetWorker) for the number of results returned for a PTR lookup.

The easiest thing to try would be to make your NetWorker server look at
/etc/hosts first, and then try putting just one of those in your
/etc/hosts, e.g.

155.247.166.60          accessibility.temple.edu

and then try.  Doing that may lead to problems down the road, but it might
be your only option now.

Do you run a caching nameserver on your NetWorker server?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)