Networker

Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....

2008-03-28 12:28:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:16:34 +0000
brerrabbit wrote:
Greetings

We are in the midst of responding to a discovery request (yea).   Of course the
information of interest is beyond the retention time for the client.

We have attempted to explain to the lawyers (using small words) that after all
of the savesets expire on the media where they were written, the media becomes
eligible for re-use.   At our site, essentially all pools can recycle to and
from each other.  Their response was, well, can you show us what tapes used to
have the information of interest and when it was recycled for another client's
backup?

I don't think that this is possible, I can't think of where this information
would be logged.  We do run Backup Advisor, so maaaaybe it's in there, but
frankly I'm deeply underwhelmed by BA, I'd give my eye teeth for SQL connector
to the damn NW databases instead (but that's another rant)

I've opened a ticket with EMC to confirm my suspicion, but if someone could
point out an approach, I'd be deeply appreciative.

Current environment
NW 7.3.3 running on win2k3.  Clients are backed up in a client-to-CDL followed
by clone-from-CDL-to-physical-media arrangement.

If any of the tapes in question have not yet been recycled, then mminfo will show you what is on them. mminfo can tell you what save sets still exist, even if they are recyclABLE. In this case, you can mark the save sets and notrecyclable, and scan them back in to the index.

Once they have actually been overwritten by another backup, the data and the references to it in the media DB are well and truly gone. The only clues about where it _used_ to be will be in the log files (daemon.log, messages etc), if you keep them so long. I have worked in places where the auditors have been poking their noses in, and sometimes the decision has been made to keep the log files (and copies of savegroup completions) for much longer than the default.

Never mind SQL, mminfo can tell you what you need to know.