Networker

[Networker] Using mtime instead of archive bit for backing up Windows servers?

2008-03-27 11:31:40
Subject: [Networker] Using mtime instead of archive bit for backing up Windows servers?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:28:33 -0400
Hi,

I know this has been discussed many times on this forum, and I've read through a lot of the older postings and also looked at EMC Powerlink's Knowledgebase, too, but I wanted to run this past the folks here to get some final feedback. We'd like to use mtime instead of the goofy archive bit method when backing up Windows servers. How best can we accomplish this? Also, will the Windows Change log journal setting (Yes/No) affect this?

We have four Windows servers (Windows 2003 Server) running NW 7.2.2, primary server runs 7.2.2 on Solaris 9. We run fulls once per month with incrementals nightly and a numeric backup mid month. We recently added three of these Windows servers to the backups. After running first time fulls, we noticed an incremental backup estimate (savegrp -n -l incr groupname) for one of the hosts reported the same size as the previous night's full , and no data had changed on the host. This seemed odd. All system clocks are in sync, and we know of no applications (e.g. virus checker) that would be messing with the archive bit. We then turned off the change log journal, and a new estimate reported 0 KB, which is what we expected. However, two of the other machines have the change log journal setting set to 'Yes' and appear to be working properly, and the other has it set to 'No' and also appears normal. We've seen weirdness in the past, though, with the archive bit, and we don't have real high confidence in the change log journal method for incrementals, never mind that it does expedite things. It just seems inconsistent sometimes. We'd really like to just use mtime and get away from the archive bit deal all together.

Also, we need to skip one directory under the root, and one directory and file recursively, which we've been doing with a server side directive like this:

<< G:\ >>
skip:    root_level_dir
+skip:   anywhere_it_exists_dir
+skip:   anywhere_it_exists_file

But I was thinking to try this:

1. Set the following environment variable on all the clients: NSR_AVOID_ARCHIVE=yes
2. Turn off Change Log journal on all clients
3. Reboot all the clients
4. Maybe also add following line to the server side directive:???
+mtimeasm:    .?* *.*

Maybe the 'mtimeasm' entry is unnecessary with the 'NSR_AVOID_ARCHIVE' environment variable already set?
I guess we'd then need to rerun fulls on everything, too?

Would appreciate any help.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210