Networker

[Networker] Backup of Solaris files and Oracle (via RMAN) incremental backups

2008-03-24 16:05:31
Subject: [Networker] Backup of Solaris files and Oracle (via RMAN) incremental backups
From: Adrian MICU <adrian.micu AT ALCATEL-LUCENT DOT RO>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:30:50 +0200
Hello all,

I'm maintaining an old backup procedure written by somebody else, not very well documented and I'm having a hard time understanding a particular aspect of NetWorker incremental backups.

The procedure backs up some flat files on a Solaris 10 machine, Oracle configuration files and RMAN backups of the Oracle instance (NetWorker 7.2 client and NMO 4.2 packages installed on the client machine). The NetWorker 7.2 server has the client, driver, node and server packages installed.

Inside NetWorker, there is a client configured for this backup set (<clientHostname>), with a specific schedule created (<prefix>_backup_<clientHostname>), specific group (<prefix>_backup_<clientHostname>), save set (<saveSetTag>) and backup command (of the save* form). There's also a specific pool (<prefix2>_backup) with the aforementioned group attached (the save set <saveSetTag> is not attached to the pool).

The backup command is a shell script calling another Perl script and passing the parameters received in $@ from NetWorker. The Perl script uses the NetWorker /usr/bin/save commands to backup some files from the server and the Oracle configuration files (spfile, tnsnames.ora, etc.) and RMAN sequences to backup the contents of the database.

When I'm scheduling an incremental backup (without prior full backup), the nwadmin interface signals that no full backup of the saveset <clientHostname>:<saveSetTag> exist, which is correct. However, after performing the full backup, I get the same message, even though a full backup has been performed - the RMAN-generated files are saved on the backup media as a <clientHostname>:RMAN:<rman_tag> saveset, which does not match the <saveSetTag> saveset. The backup command is sending the parameter -l (level) at full every time to the Perl script actually launching the RMAN backup sequences (which have NSR_SERVER and NSR_DATA_VOLUME_POOL parameters correctly set), so the Oracle backup is allways done as full. What's even more strange to me is that this procedure was working in the past, doing incremental backups on Oracle instances of hundreds of Gb, where the difference between a full and an incremental backup is easily seen.

What am I missing here? Should I define the save set differently inside the client defined in NetWorker, in order to recognize the <clientHostname>:RMAN:<rman_tag> savesets provided by the Perl script?

Thank you for your time,
Adrian