Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes that have no index on them

2008-03-20 15:57:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes that have no index on them
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:51:02 +0000
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:59:29AM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> I have some old tapes (old = 2007-02-28, so well far beyond our
> browse/retention time). And now I need to restore some files off them. Our
> policy is not to save the index with every backup job (i.e., we run our
> own bootstrap job manually via schedule every day, doing a savegrp -O).
> Since this is the first time I've had to do a restore from old tapes, I'm
> a little unclear on the procedure.
>
> NW 7.4.1, on Win2003
>
> >From looking at the manual, I would need to do a:
>
> scanner -m \\tape0 (since I have 4 tapes dated 2007-02-28, and 3 dated
> from a later month)

Scanner -m only restores the media database.  But the media DB entries
are not destroyed at the end of the retention period.  They are only
removed if you ask for that explicitly (nsrim -d) or if the volume is
recycled.

> Once that finishes for the 1st (?) tape, I would need to do a
>      mminfo -a -v
> to find out the sequence of tapes that this backup job consists of.

So this command should work now unless you've done something to remove
the media entries in the past.

> What tape do I do the "scanner -m" on, tho? I have 4 tapes, that pretty
> much say "EOM 2007-02-28". Do I just put one in at random, and NW will
> figure out the rest?
> Then I do a
>
> scanner -i \\tape0

You can run -m and -i at the same time.  If you have the SSID of the
data you need, you can limit the scanner to that SSID (or set of SSIDs).