Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes that have no index on them

2008-03-20 12:36:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes that have no index on them
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:34:00 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Need help in restoring files from old tapes that...:

From looking at the manual, I would need to do a:

scanner -m \\tape0 (since I have 4 tapes dated 2007-02-28, and 3 dated
from a later month)
Once that finishes for the 1st (?) tape, I would need to do a
    mminfo -a -v
to find out the sequence of tapes that this backup job consists of.

I don't think it's likely that you'll be able to run mminfo and get that
information until you've scanned a majority of the tapes, but I could be
wrong.

What tape do I do the "scanner -m" on, tho? I have 4 tapes, that pretty
much say "EOM 2007-02-28". Do I just put one in at random, and NW will
figure out the rest?

More or less. If I know the order, I always scan tapes in order, but NetWorker has generally handled it when I've scanned tapes out of order.

Then I do a

scanner -i \\tape0

If you know the exact path to the files you need to recover, or at least
to the directory you need to recover, you can avoid the scanner -i and
do a directed recover.  You won't be able to browse from the client, but
you can pull the files (or the entire directory) back.

Once you have the media index rebuilt (i.e. scanner -m has finished),
you also wouldn't need to use scanner -i on the whole tape.  You should
be able to guess what saveset(s) you need, and just scan them.

And once that's done, I can go to the client that these tapes originally
came from, and do a normal restore (after changing the "browse time" to be
2007-02-28 )?

Yes.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)