Networker

Re: [Networker] Volume Name <unlabeled> after jukebox upgrade

2008-03-20 09:43:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Volume Name <unlabeled> after jukebox upgrade
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:39:40 -0500
Hello,
I have seen networker mounting tapes to write ( if an backup is initiated)
even when write protect tape is engaged, you will also need to ensure that
you mark the tape read only ( in media db)  when inserting into tape
Library, as a matter of fact i have come across the situation where
networker gets stuck on one tape what has write project tab enabled
without being marked into the media dB as read only and not going past
that tape, effectively killing all backups subsequently.
Thanks

MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/20/2008 07:05 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Volume Name <unlabeled> after jukebox upgrade

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/19/2008 05:29:40 PM:

> ALWAYS flip the "write-protect" tab when doing a recover. :) (I didn't
once
> and only once.)

Good tip.

> Also, is the tape still in the media database?
> /usr/sbin/mminfo -a -q 'barcode=x' -r 'volume'

What would you need to do if it wasn't? I have a number of tapes I need to

read back in, that are older and well beyond their retention period. If I
was still using BackupExec, I would "catalog" the tape, so I could choose
which files on that specific tape I want to restore. This is the first
time I would be doing this with Networker. Do I do a "scanner" command? Or

is it "mmrecover"? I am confused.

Thanks

> On Wednesday 19 March 2008, David Burgett wrote:
> > We have recently upgraded to a jukebox using LTO-4 media from a
jukebox
> > using LTO-2 media.  We are trying to recover some files now on the
LTO-2
> > media in the new jukebox and the volume names are showing up as
> > <unlabeled>.  I have already ran the nsrjb -IIvvv command, and still
> > nothing.  I know that if I label the tape, then it will erase all save
> > sets and would, in effect, render it worthless to me.
> >
> > Has anyone out there had to deal with this issue after an upgrade? Any
> > and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu
> > and
type