Networker

Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention

2008-03-19 05:00:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:51:19 +0000
David Dulek wrote:
I am now using 7.4.1 SP1 and ...

I am pleasantly surprise to let everyone know that "apparently" that behavior is no longer true. My index saves "appear" to have the same browse time as the clients that were backed up.

I am in the process of changing all the clients to have different browse and retention policies based on the group that they are in so I didn't know that changed until today's backups ran. ( I had to create 3 client definitions, one for each of the groups they are in. I assume this is still true since I could not find a browse/retention policy on the groups )

Whoa - 3 client resources for each client? Try to avoid that, you will have a very difficult system to manage.

With 7.4.1 you can set a retention policy on the pool, and this is VERY useful. Combine this with schedules set on groups rather than clients and you can go back to a single client resource for each client. I have implemented this strategy on two customer sites recently and it works just great.