Networker

Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention

2008-03-18 10:46:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] index default browse and retention
From: "Landwehr, Jerome" <jlandweh AT HARRIS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:42:54 -0400
Our solution is to _not_ run the index backup with the savegroups at all
(Group option No Index Save - same as 'savegrp -I [group]') and have
separate client resources for the index backups - one for daily onsite
backups which lasts a week and another for offsite backups which match
the offsite backup's retention.  The daily onsite index backup doesn't
need to match the daily retention because you'll always get the next
index backup tomorrow which is all inclusive

So we do a daily job for the short term index backup (Save Group O -
same as 'savegrp -O [sgo group]') so we call the pool SGO.  You have to
use cron to fire this off because there is no GUI option to save _only_
the index.  And after the long term retention backup we do the index
backup with long term retention manually

This way any index recovers will all be from one tape, not all over the
place - if you have more than a handfull of tapes in a set, you know how
long an index recover will take if it has to scan every backup volume
for the scattered chunks of index!

Also, this way, it's much easier to tell what your index retention will
be since you define it in the SGO client resources

HTH
Jerry