Networker

[Networker] Need advice on setting up some notifications

2008-03-17 16:11:48
Subject: [Networker] Need advice on setting up some notifications
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:05:36 -0400
So I have a need for 2 things: (NW 7.4 SP1, Win2003)

I have a job that does automatic cloning from an adv_file device. This
weekeend (and last) the backup to the disk portion completed fine, but the
cloning failed. The SAVEGRP completeion email tells me that. However, I
had just connected remotely and looked at the NW GUI. The GUI had a
successful completeion of the group (green check mark), even tho the group
definition has a success threshhold of "success". I thought this meant
that all portions of the job (backup as well as clone) had to finish with
a "success", else the group would be flagged as "failed". Obviously, this
is not the case. Apparently, the "failed" flagging only occurs in an error
(or warning) on the *backup* portion of the job, and the clone job can go
and do whatever it wants to do (or not do), with no effect on the group
status.

So ... how to get a notification when the backup works, but the cloning
failed? I could send that to my pager, and then connect in and start the
clone. (FYI - this clone job is about a TB in size, so it's been running
since 8AM here ... if I could have kicked it off on Sat, it would have
been done by the time I got in this morning).

Corollary: is there a way to set a group to auto-restart *just* the
cloning part, if a tape fails? I don't want to restart the whole job,
since the backup to disk worked fine (and I don't have enough disk space
for 2 copies of the backup_; I want to just restart the clone part.
Possible?

I could also use a notification when a tape media fails (as happened to
the job above).  It is *not* a Media, Emergency setting. Here's an email I
got:

NetWorker media: (notice) verification of volume "1127153725", volid
2664517042 failed, volume is being marked as full.

Notice that the failure is coming as level "notice". To me, a failure
should be a higher priority (Criticaal or Emergency). But since it wasn't,
it didn't go to my pager, so I had no way of knowing, and connecting in
over the weekend to fix it.

I do have a Media event, Critical and Emergency priority email
notification. That is sending me emails when

NetWorker media: (emergency) could not position 1127153725 to file 2,
record 6651

I suppose I could route those to my phone, but there are a few of those (4
or 5), before the failure shown above comes through. I'd rather get just
the failure sent to my phone, but can't figure out how to specify the
notification, so I don't get all "notice" emails (like "Tape Full", etc
notices).

Thanks

--
Michael Leone