Networker

[Networker] pool type for D2D2T tapes

2008-03-14 19:27:26
Subject: [Networker] pool type for D2D2T tapes
From: Steve Groom <sgroom AT CALTECH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:21:41 -0700
What is the proper pool type to use for tapes
in a disk-to-disk-to-tape configuration, using
automated staging? Does it make a difference whether
we have them as "backup" or "backup clone"?

The first two tape pools we setup for this config were
both type "backup", with one configured to accept fulls
and another for incrementals and levels, coming
from any group (i.e. no groups explicitly selected in the
pool's config). When we went to add a second
tape pool for shorter retention fulls (along with
a corresponding AFTD and staging policy), we got
an error about "Pool(s) xxx have overlapping selection
criteria", where xxx is the name of the first pool marked
for fulls. If instead we set the new pool's type to
"Backup Clone" we don't get this error and the pool is
created OK, but we don't know what other effects this might
have. The first support guy we talked to said that
it had to be "Backup", but then he later said
"Backup Clone" was OK, but it didn't really sound
like a definitive answer. It seemed like a pretty
simple question, we just want to know how
this is *supposed* to be setup. We're also wary about
what will happen if we try to change the pool type of our
existing tape pools to "backup clone".

Another idea we haven't tried is to explicitly list the
source group(s) for each tape pool.
We were hoping to avoid that and just rely on the staging policy
to control what tape pool is used.
It just seems redundant to have that specified in both the
tape pool config, and in the staging policy, but perhaps
there's no way around that.

Anyone have input on the "right" way to configure multiple
tape pools under D2D2T and automated staging?

thanks
Steve Groom