Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker wanting mount of AFTD on wrong storage node?

2008-03-13 11:26:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker wanting mount of AFTD on wrong storage node?
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:20:22 +0100
On 2008-03-13 15:58, Howard Martin revealed:

HM> Was the data staged to sn01, if so the recovery will start on sn01 and
HM> want to continue there. As far as I know networker requires all the
HM> savesets needed for a recover to be on the same storage node.

The data was staged to tapes that can be mounted on either sn02 or sn01.
However, at the time of the restore, both drives on sn02 were busy writing
other backups, so the recover selected sn01 since it was the first one
that had available devices, and the initial data to recover was on tape.
Then ofcourse, it tried to recover the rest of the data that was still on
disk, but only available on sn02 since thats where the disk device
resides. In my opinion, networker should be smart enough to understand
which media dependencies that exist for the entire restore and not select
a storage node where it can't complete the recover from.

So, if I don't have DDS, and have staging which makes some recovers
require data from both disk and tape, how can I ensure that it will work
every time? Ie not come into a deadlock like this. IMHO I think networker
should be smart enough to figure out that it has to wait for a tape device
on node sn02 to become available if such a limitation does indeed exist.

So, I wonder if I should regard this as a bug and open a case, or just add
this to the list of stupid things networker does?

//Oscar