Networker

[Networker] Block size errors on Win2003

2008-03-12 08:40:57
Subject: [Networker] Block size errors on Win2003
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:37:43 -0400
I got a couple of these errors the last couple nights. We use Win2003, NW
7.4 SP1, and always have. All the media therefore has always been written
to by Win2003, it's not like we're mixing media that had been written by a
Unix system.

NetWorker media: (notice) Volume "910088" on device "\\.\Tape3": Block
size is 32768 bytes not 131072 bytes. Verify the device configuration.
Tape positioning by record is disabled.

Now, I did have to delete and re-add the library, because the device name
changed (see recent thread on this topic). However, NW automatically
configured the drive; I never specified anything about blocksize. And the
Windows blocksize shouldn't change - it should be the same as it was in
the past. I ahve other tapes of this same vintage that are not reporting
this problem (i.e., these are all tapes that came back into rotation after
our standard 2 month cycle). So the block size on all 10 tapes that were
used last night should have been the same, yet only 2 tapes are the ones
complaining.

Since these were clone jobs, it meant I had to manually start a couple
clone jobs before I went to bed last night, which is not exactly what I
wanted to do with my evening. :-)

Thoughts? Causes, preventative measures for future?

Thanks

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM