Networker

Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups

2008-03-12 04:22:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:13:55 +1100
NetWorker doesn't create a snapshot.

Networker sends a request to the NetApp device via the NDMP protocol to
run the dump command. The dump command is a standard netapp command that
is based on the classic unix dump command..  This command when asked to
backup a live filesystem (eg not a specific snapshot path)  will go and
create an on-the-fly snapshot and feed the data back via NDMP to
networker but maintains the original file locations. When the dump
command exits it drops the snapshot.  When you use the dump command
directly you can actually get it to leave the snapshot in place and it
has option for resuming interrupted dums... But that's not something you
can use via NDMP.

Because its backing up from a snapshot you can take as long as you like
to do the backup..

I currently use specific named snapshots that exist for a week or so -
In theory I have all week to get the backup done - or longer even. That
way I can schedule a snapshot to be taken at the official backup time,
but only have to do the backup later on when there's spare time on the
backup system

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.