Networker

Re: [Networker] Library/Drive Names getting shuffled by Windows.

2008-03-11 15:25:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Library/Drive Names getting shuffled by Windows.
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:22:18 -0500
Hello,
If you configured persistent binding on the FC HBA that is good, one other
thing you can do also is if the drives are IBM, the latest drivers from
IBM have a registry configuration settings which will change the way
windows  assigns the drive parameters in windows environment, the
documentation on how to implement this is included with the drivers for
LTO.
HTH

MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/11/2008 02:09 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Library/Drive Names getting shuffled by Windows.

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/11/2008 02:07:18 PM:

> I'm running Networker 7.3.2 on Windows Server 2003. We have three
> indentical libraries connected. Each has two LTO-2 drives. Two of the
> libraries are fiber connected through a SAN switch. The third is fiber
> connected directly to the Networker server.
>
> Whenever we reboot the server, the definition of which device is which
> gets confused. LIB1 with Tape0 and Tape1 might become LIB2 with Tape2 &
> Tape3. We have determined that these device names are determined by
> Windows - Networker is dependant on how Windows names the devices.
>
> We have set the HBAs to use persistent settings. The libraries don't
> have an option for peristent settings, but we were able to configure
> each one to identify itself with a unique name. None of this has made a
> difference. We've had no luck finding a way within windows to "lock
> down" the name assignments.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this and/or had any luck resolving this?

I see it, too. It doesn't *always* change, but it has been known to.

I have 2 libraries, both connected via fiber through a SAN switch to a
Win2003 NW 7.4 SP1 server. When I had only 1 library, I had tape drives
\\tape0-3. When the 2nd library came online, I got \\tape0, \\tape1,
\\tape4, \\tape5. The intermediate drives were assigned to library #2.
Luckily, library #2 is a different medium (SDLT-600 v SDLT-320), so it was

easy to identify. I had to delete the library, and re-configure it (using
jbconfig).

Haven't found a way to stop it happening, tho. So I just do an INQUIRE
after rebooting the server, to make sure nothing changed.

type