Networker

Re: [Networker] Library errors

2008-03-05 08:53:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Library errors
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:47:10 -0600
Hello,
First of all the problem is hardware  and this Tape lib are not easy to
work on, even for an expert, i question the rational of not getting
adequate support on the hardware to begin with, this could jeopardize your
entire backup routine, nsrjb -HEvvv is not meant to replace proper
hardware maintenance and\or support.
Once you start maintaining your own lib, where will it stop, next in line
Z OS and mainframe replacement :}
When the problem occurs in middle of backup there is not much you can do
without disrupting your whole backup cycle, i would talk to management and
get a full support in place rather then trying to fix it yourself.

Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/04/2008 05:25 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

On Mar 4, 2008, at 6:15 PM, badams wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  IBM charges us big $$ per visit, so we have
> an incentive to get it working without them.  I suspect it will
> happen again, and I'm hoping not too often, and that it can be
> resolved quickly using nsrjb -HE.

I had a similar problem with a non-IBM tape library, which I no longer
use. Every once in a while its robotic gripper would malfunction. As
it turned out, some adjustments were necessary. That library was in
use for several years. Over time, some of the gripper's parts had gone
out of adjustment and it would sometimes miss a slot when it went to
place a tape back in a slot and it would just sit there in front of
the slot, slightly misaligned with it and get into a loop where it
continuously tried to place the tape where it belonged, but fail. Your
library might be in the same situation. If that's the case, you'll
probably need to retain IBM to fix the problem unless you are willing
to try it yourself and have the relevant information available.

type