Networker

Re: [Networker] Waiting for writable volumes when volumes availables, why?

2008-03-03 15:02:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Waiting for writable volumes when volumes availables, why?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 06:56:45 +1100
Manel,

We have seen that volumes expected to be used (available ones) are marked as 'read only':

mminfo -a -r "volume,volflags,state,capacity,written,%used,olabel,
labeled" | find /i "LNR101"
LNR101         r    E        160 GB 158 GB full 12/18/2003 12/8/2007

If we change this flag from command line, the flag is gone:

nsrmm -o notreadonly LNR101
Mark sdlt320 tape LNR101 as not readonly? YES

mminfo -a -r "volume,volflags,state,capacity,written,%used,olabel,
labeled" | find /i "LNR101"
LNR101                       160 GB 158 GB full 12/18/2003 12/8/2007

but after we change the tape from the graphical interface to recyclable it becomes in the same state as the initial one.

Why this happens?

NetWorker has been marking recyclable volumes as read-only since v6.1. This is standard practice. It basically tells NetWorker that the volume can't be used again for writing _except_ for when it is loaded for relabeling. (The "logic" behind this is that you shouldn't append information to a recyclable volume, thus extending its expiration period. Alternatively, if the volume is full then "logically" it's also read-only.)

If your volumes are not becoming recyclable when you expect, etc., you need to look for other causes than this - it's normal.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy", due out August 15 2008:

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=