Networker

Re: [Networker] Retention Policies and ComputerName Changes

2008-03-03 10:34:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Retention Policies and ComputerName Changes
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:26:47 -0600
Hello,
There is no straightforward & simple answer to your questions, it all
boils down to what are your companies requirement and what are regulation
surrounding it.
As a system admin, i would have preferred not to backup desktops atall, if
the users need to save file temporarily for scanning, they should be
trained and have them use a home directory etc which is on the network and
backed up at central location.
A simple script or GPO may facilitate the actions.
Data retention and policies should be developed with input from your
companies security & upper management's approval which do not shortchange
or underestimate the magnitude of issues related to backup, the less you
have to backup is probably good.
There are exceptions but they should be noted and dealt with, you will
save a lot of desktop client licensing without sacrificing any data loss.
Not to mention, simple networker configurations and headaches of keeping
up with constant desktop changes\cleint install issues.
Keeping index forever could lead to large client indexes and someday
possible dB corruption\lenthly DR, diskspacce issues, performance etc.
Work to develop a good data retention policies within the framework of
your company and implement it vigorously.
HTH

tkutil <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/03/2008 08:53 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] Retention Policies and ComputerName Changes

Just wondering what other peope are doing to address the need to keep
backups forever for litigation purposes. I backup individual users
desktops as a DR effort because our CAD systems holds files local to the
user while they modify them. However, users also store files locally even
though they shouldn't. To compound the problem we use the serial number of
the computer as the computer name. Since we lease, the computer name
changes and I start a new client and delete the old client in Networker.
Is there a better way to do this so that I can keep the client index
forever if needed?

|This was sent by troy.kutil AT milwaukeetool DOT com via Backup Central.

type