Networker

Re: [Networker] Switching from Netbackup to Networker

2008-03-01 07:17:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Switching from Netbackup to Networker
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 07:13:57 -0500
My own experience (having inherited a NetWorker install last April) is that EMC has gotten remarkably worse since they changed the way the support staff is structured.

I have an issue that has been open with EMC since last August. I have a Qualstar XLS tape library. It has this really nice safety feature that when you open the CAP, it locks the robot arm in place. This prevents the robot arm from severing the hand of the idiot that is reaching in to grab the tape they forgot to have the robot put into the I/O cartridges (and the resulting noise pollution, not to mention the need to open the door to retrieve the severed limb from the bottom and clean up all that sticky red stuff.... but anyway)

Guess what... NetWorker doesn't happen to notice that little issue (It's been on the Qualstar RLS line since day one and is now on the XLS line) and will happily eject a tape as part of an unmount and THEN fail the unload. Once that happens -- you have a tape ejected from the drive and sitting in the drive and NetWorker can't figure out that all it needs to do is move the tape back to the slot. The manual recovery is to run the sjimm command to stick the tape back into the drive so that NetWorker can successfully eject it...

I got nowhere with EMC on this for five months until I told the salesman that I'd happily license another 100TB of AFTD space... as soon as this problem is fixed to my satisfaction. Wow... they've found the bug and the code fix has been in QA for two and a half weeks (I haven't seen it, but I'm assured it's there).

Frank