Networker

Re: [Networker] Force automatic recycle of expired tapes?

2008-02-26 09:14:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Force automatic recycle of expired tapes?
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:09:46 -0500
On 2/26/08 8:39 AM, Phil Myers wrote:
We have NW 7.3.2 and a Dell 6000 jukebox. Auto media management is checked in the props for the juke, but tapes are not automatically recycling when they reach their expiration dates. I was told by a NW guru that these tapes may contain backups for clients that have beeen deleted, and NW won't recycle these as a precaution. Is there a way to force recycling on these tapes?

I run the following against tapes that have reached their expiration date and are not marked as expired yet (and I have a bunch)

mminfo -avot -q '!ssrecycle,volume=XXX'

If I determine by looking that the data is of no consequence, then I manually recycle them with

nsrjb -LRYv XXX

(where XXX is the volume name in both cases)

If you have more than one jukebox, you'll need to use the -j flag on the nsrjb command too.