Networker

[Networker] HPUX client backup fails with "Connection Timed out" error.

2008-02-25 15:50:34
Subject: [Networker] HPUX client backup fails with "Connection Timed out" error.
From: Saran <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:43:43 -0800
Networker Server:
Operating System: Windows 2000 SP4
Networker : version 6.1.3 Build 428
Networker Client:
Operatings System: HPUX 11.31(Itanium), HPUX 11.31 (PA-RISC)
Networker: Version 7.1. Build 230
Error: Connection Timed out.
          Retries attempted.

1. Server and Clients are in different subnet, but Server has multihomed NIC
configured for different subnet.

2. All the other clients from different subnet are getting backed up perfectly.

3. Only these two clinets were failing on the Group with " connection timed
out" error. All other clients on the same group getting completed successfully.
(There are few HPUX clients on this same group which is goint thru' without any
issues and it's running with the same client version of legato as the failing
nodes)

4. Tested these two clients with new group, pool and still the backup fails
with same error msg... "connection timed out"

5. Increased the retry attempts to maximum level (5), still no results.

6. Switched between differnt ports on the switchside, no results. Can able to
access the machine but backup fails.

7. Connectivity and other tests between Server and clients tested. Details
below.

a) ping ok
b) No DNS, so resolves by hosts file. - /etc/nsswitch.conf file entry pointing
to "hosts"
c) rpcinfo ok from both the ends.
d) NIC ok, full duplex enabled.
e) Services are running ok, restarted it to test.
f) On server, client node entries are made in "hosts" file, services restarted.
h) On client, Server IP & hostname details are made in "/etc/hosts" file.
Services Restarted.
i) /nsr/res/servers - entry checked and it's perfect.

It looks like the client and server could able to communicate each other and
the network connectivity seems to be perfect. Not sure what would be the other
issues causing the backup to fail.

Appreciate if anyone can suggest what would be the issue likely...

Is there is any patch which I need to update on HPUX/ or any files need to be
modified or any special entries required..

Thank you.