Networker

Re: [Networker] Compression on Win2003 servers question

2008-02-25 13:08:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compression on Win2003 servers question
From: "Cox, Shawn" <Shawn.Cox AT PCCA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:05:50 -0600
In my experience this mostly depends upon what it is you are backing up.  In my
world SQL backup containers compress 90% and thus are handled wonderfully by
the compress asm.  However my file servers which have hundreds of thousands of
small files do not respond all that well to the compress asm.  What comprises
that 570G?

I'm pretty sure there is no all or nothing requirement for compression.

I think someone suggested in the past testing with bigasm to understand
hardware compression/compress asm interactions under a specific set of hardware.

--Shawn