Networker

[Networker] What does good LTO3 performance look like?

2008-02-19 07:19:47
Subject: [Networker] What does good LTO3 performance look like?
From: Ian G Batten <ian.batten AT UK.FUJITSU DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:06:48 +0000
I'm backing up four streams of small files from a four-way Fujitsu PW450 (equivalent to roughly a Sun V440) with a pair of DotHill SanNet II arrays running ZFS.

The storage node is a Sun V240 with an ADIC 100 LTO3 library attached, the networker node is another V240 with the indexes held on internal disks using ZFS.

The storage node and the networker node are at one end of 30 miles of GigE, the storage at the other. The GigE is essentially dedicated.

Everything's Solaris 10.latest, everything's Networker 7.3.3. The obvious FSS niceties have been configured and the backup processes are all in their own projects with plenty of shares. The machines are all otherwise idle.

I'm seeing about 200GB/hour (ie 55MB/sec, or ~50% of the network bandwidth).

I'm not at all unhappy, and this is fine performance for me.

I'm just curious to know what the limiting factor is and if there's anything obvious I could do to raise the performance a bit. This is more about learning than about needs.

nsrmmd on the storage node is the obvious candidate, as it's consuming ~40% of a processor and making ~5K system calls per second. Is it possible to raise the overall blocking factor to make more efficient use of the CPU?

ian