Networker

[Networker] recommendations for block size in Windows and Solaris environment

2008-02-18 05:56:21
Subject: [Networker] recommendations for block size in Windows and Solaris environment
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:54:17 +0000
I am going to configure a new Solaris 8 SAN storage node into an existing
Windows environment. The block size on the WIndows Networker server is
currently default of 64kb. When i mount a volume Netowkrer reports the block
size as 64kb

  I expect that the default block size on the Solaris 8 server will be 128kb.
Is this correct?

  What is the recommendation for block size in a mixed OS environment? Should i
reconfigure the windows server as 128kb or should the Solaris block size be
reduced to 64kb? OR, should i leave both servers using differing block sizes?

  If i change the block size on the windows server how will this effect the use
of my existing volumes which are all currently written to using the 64k size.

  Do I need to be worried about the block size settings at all?

  Regards.