Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up Celerra with NDMP to SAN attached tape

2008-02-13 10:05:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up Celerra with NDMP to SAN attached tape
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:59:29 -0600
Hello,
You can however, when utilizing over the network NDMP backups, use non
ndmp drives and multiplex , the last time i checked the throughput was
equal or greater then FC since it was multiplex stream, admin guide does a
good job of explaining the scenarios.
In this scenarios with over the network NDMP, i believe you can write NDMP
and non NDMP data streams together, it may be a options for shops where FC
is not available or this configuration saves some hardware allocations and
it's simpler to implement.
HTH

"N.J.Tustain" <N.J.Tustain AT OPEN.AC DOT UK>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/13/2008 03:49 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
"N.J.Tustain" <N.J.Tustain AT OPEN.AC DOT UK>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Backing up Celerra with NDMP to SAN attached tape

Thanks for the responses....

Steve,
I didn't think it was possible to share NDMP and non NDMP backups to a
drive that had been configured as an NDMP drive....?  Would that require
a DDS?

We had intended to dedicate one or two drives solely for NDMP backups.
It was our intention to use block level (vbb) backup in hope the backup
rate would be excellent.

Although as a test backup, we backed up with file level backup over the
LAN  averadged around 65MB/s to LTOIII, which I was impressed with.

 SHYAM,
  As I mentioned above our intention is to hopefully use two drives
solely for Celerra backup. There are two active ports on our Celerra
that attach to each leg of our fabric. I had intended to zone it so that
each active Celerra port was going to feed a tape drive down either side
of our fabric, the aim to prevent one port or tape drive from being
maxed out.

Do you know if it's possible for an active port on the celerra to be
JBconfigured to control/feed more than one drive, or does there need to
be a one to one relationship between the Celerra port and the tape
drive?

Thanks
Nick