Networker

Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-12 19:21:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?
From: Rodney Rutherford <rrutherf AT TRIPOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:17:32 -0600
I have supported NetWorker with great results on AIX, Solaris SPARC, and
Linux (RHEL), all with no problems.  In all cases, I always went with
the latest vendor supplied drivers for SAN connectivity, etc.

I currently (for about 2 years now) have NetWorker 7.2.2 on RHEL 3
running on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 with 6 SCSI-attached LTO2 drives.

I back up HP-UX, IRIX, MacOS X, RHEL, Solaris, and Windows clients; as
well as SAN (EMC cx600 and cx40), and NAS (EMC ns40) volumes.  It has
been rock solid, and the only quibble I have with it is that for some reason on RHEL 3 there is a roughly 10 second delay for any jukebox commands whenever a savegroup is running. With no savegroup running,
it responds normally.

Prior to that, I was backing up this same environment with 7.2.2 on Solaris 9/10 running on an E280R. The reason for the switch was that
on the E280R/Solaris config, statting a NAS NFS filesystem with lots of
small files took forever.  With Linux on the Dell 1950, the performance
for that dramatically improved, and my performance with everything else
is great as well.

So my vote would be for both Solaris SPARC and Linux.  I haven't tried
it on Solaris x86, but when I do finally consider making the jump to
NW 7.4/7.5, I will probably test with RHEL/Ubuntu Server/Solaris x86
to determine what my preference for that upgrade will be.

However, that is largely due to having no budget for any current Sun hardware; otherwise, I would eval Linux/x86 versus Solaris/sparc again
to determine my choice going forward.

So bottom line, you could put me down as for Sparc and Linux.

Also, regarding some other responses about tape format of choice, I
have used everything from 1/4", 8mm, AIT, DLT, LTO and LTO2.  While
I have used the LTO format the most, my favorite is still AIT.  However,
since we are heavily invested in LTO, I don't see AIT in my future
again anytime soon.

Rodney

Sid Shapiro wrote:
Hello.
So far I've received the following. Admittedly some of the answers were a
bit hard to categorize, but I think this is the gist.

platform        for     against
Sparc           4
Windows         1       3
Linux           1       6
Solaris x86     1       1
non-responsive - 7

What I find a little puzzling is that there are no advocates or detractors
from HP-UX or AIX. I wonder what that means? My current server is an HP-UX
system...
/ Sid /

--
Rodney P. Rutherford -- Senior UNIX Administrator
Tripos International -- http://www.tripos.com/