Networker

Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-12 18:40:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:37:52 -0700
Well Sid, I can almost put a vote in for HPUX. The reason for the
"almost" is that we are running 7.2.2 on HPUX and it's great. One of
these days I'll upgrate to 7.4.1, but I'm trying to hold off for 7.4.2
;-)
We do about 6TB/day during the week and 8-9TB/day on the weekends. Our
backup window is from 1600 to 0430 and we haven't had any issues yet.
Also our storage node is a Redhat box with 7TB of disk and it works
flawlessly. So, I vote for a unix flavor over widows (we never could
get decent throughput with windows, but that was 5 years ago) and HPUX
does work pretty darn good.

Ken

On Feb 12, 2008 3:40 PM, Sid Shapiro <sid_shapiro AT bio-rad DOT com> wrote:
> Hello.
> So far I've received the following. Admittedly some of the answers were a
> bit hard to categorize, but I think this is the gist.
>
> platform        for     against
> Sparc           4
> Windows         1       3
> Linux           1       6
> Solaris x86     1       1
> non-responsive - 7
>
> What I find a little puzzling is that there are no advocates or detractors
> from HP-UX or AIX. I wonder what that means? My current server is an HP-UX
> system...
> / Sid /
>

> Sid Shapiro/Hercules/US/BIO-RAD wrote on 02/11/2008 01:09:01 PM:
>
> > Hello,
> > I'm about to upgrade to the latest networker and I need to upgrade
> > my hardware as well, so - what better time to ask :
> > What's the best platform on which to run networker server these
> > days. Clients are HP-UX Solaris, AIX, Linux, windows - with oracle,
> > lotus notes, exchange, sql-server.
> >
> > Define "best" anyway you like - best performance, best price-
> > performance, etc., etc..
> >
> > I usually like to go with the primary development platform, but I
> > don't know what that is for networker these days. Do you?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > / Sid /

> this list. You can access the archives at

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin