Networker

Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-12 18:38:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Summary so far] Re: best platform for newest networker?
From: "Reed, Ted G II [IT]" <Ted.Reed AT SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:33:55 -0600
        We have one environment that has an HP-UX Storage Node (solaris
master), using a single 10GbE card for backup network, and 2x 1GbE for
admin/meta-data/clients not on the proper backup network.  Overall, I don't
have a problem with the HP...it performs well and does what it's supposed to
do.  But I've also never pushed it's limits the way I have with my all-solaris
shops, where I've found my bottleneck appears to be solaris i/o handling (note:
v490/Solaris8).  No matter what I do with that older solaris setup, I can't
seem to break the 180MB/sec aggregate  max...even with 4x 1GbE (TCP/IP Offload
cards) and 6x STK 9940B (30/60/90M spec).

        I also have to agree with Curtis' comments regarding pro-Solaris folk
(unix is unix....and it is definitely NOT windows, yech).  I'm pro-Solaris
myself, and looking forward to using the T5220 w/8x core, solaris 10, and (if
I'm lucky) 2x 10GbE for my new master/SN infrastructure.  However, I still plan
on designing it to only push 6 tapes drives (IBM 3592E05), whether I get
2x10GbE or 8x1GbE for my backup network connections.
--Ted