Networker

Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-12 03:09:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:05:28 +0200
> > Linux gets mentioned a lot - but there seems to me to be a fair deal of
> > effort to keep the kernel, the hardware, and the application all talking
> > to each other properly, If you are a mixed shop and you have solaris
> > admins in house, then I can't see how using linux would work out
> > cheaper...
>
>    Linux suffers from some immaturity (file systems, SAN stack), so its
> configuration will be more complicated. I am not afraid of fixing driver
> sources as was suggested more than once in this list, it is an
> indication of immaturity. I do expect it to run OK with very minor
> glitches once configured, so it will be my second OS choice for x86.

Well, you are close, but:

1. The filsystem(s) in Linux are perfectly fine for Networker use

2. The SAN stack os also OK. PROVIDED that you grab the driver
  from the adapter manufaturer as the main problem has been that
  the distros have been sing very old and buggy versions of the drivers.
  One exception to this is SuSe, which seems to be fine "out of the box".

Best
Dag