Networker

Re: [Networker] dividing backup traffic over multiple network interfaces

2008-02-01 16:51:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] dividing backup traffic over multiple network interfaces
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:45:11 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] dividing backup traffic over multiple network...:

I'm looking for some advice on adding network
bandwidth to a Networker server.

The basic ideas I'm considering are

1) using multiple 1Gb enet at the server,
and somehow spread the load among them

We've used that method for years, and it's worked relatively well for us.
It's "low tech", but that's not always bad, since "low tech" is also often
conceptually simple and straightforward to implement.

Our networker servers each have two gigabit NICs, each on different
busses.  The primary interface sits on our server subnet.  The other
interface plugs in to a different subnet (we call it our secondary
network).  This secondary subnet used to be another /24 in our IP range,
but we converted it to be an unroutable range (172.17.XXX.YYY) a year or
more ago.

We use a DNS convention that no matter what the FQDN is for the interface
that sits on any public subnet, if a system has a presence on the
secondary subnet, it's hostname gets a "-s" added to it.  For example, if
our networker server were named "nwserver.nodak.edu", it's interface on
the secondary network is "nwserver-s.nodak.edu".

So, if we're going to add a new client to NetWorker, and that client has
an interface on the secondary network and we want its backups to go over
that network, we create the client with a name that's the "-s" variant of
the FQDN, e.g. to add a client that the world knows as
"blackboard.ndsu.nodak.edu", we would use the name
"blackboard-s.ndsu.nodak.edu".

Beyond that, we also have to add the primary name that the host has to the
"Aliases" list in the client, e.g. "blackboard.ndsu.nodak.edu" and/or
"blackboard".

Further, it helps to put the FQDN for the NetWorker server's secondary
interface ("nwserver-s.nodak.edu") in the "Server network interface" field
(which is a hidden field in the Motif GUI, not sure about the java
interface).

This method has worked pretty well for us for more than 10 years.  If you
choose to go this route and you use unroutable addresses for a secondary
network, you may enounter issues on the networker clients when the
server connects and the client tries to resolve the PTR record for the
NetWorker server.  Those issues can be worked around using various
methods, sometimes as simple as an additionl entry in /etc/hosts.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)