Networker

Re: [Networker] Can I make a remote networker server use my local tape drive?

2008-01-31 13:06:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can I make a remote networker server use my local tape drive?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:00:11 +0000
On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:12:57AM -0500, Peter Grace wrote:
> Here's my predicament..  I have a tape changer where I don't have direct
> access to, where the "remote" legato server is.  We bring the tapes back
> from this area and, when we need something restored, restore them
> locally.  Usually this involves me using scanner -i -S <ssid> <tape
> drive> to import the tape's contents into my local drive, but this is
> time consuming.  I'm wondering if there's a better way.

If nothing else, maybe you can reduce the timeframe.

Are you scanning the whole tape?  You can limit the scan to be just the
saveset(s) you're interested in.  That's helpful if your savesets are
small relative to the amount of data on the tape.

If you're restoring the entire dataset, you can scan the data directly
to disk in one pass rather than scan first then go back and do a
restore.

Either might be helpful depending on your workflow.