Networker

[Networker] dividing backup traffic over multiple network interfaces

2008-01-30 21:51:34
Subject: [Networker] dividing backup traffic over multiple network interfaces
From: Steve Groom <sgroom AT CALTECH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:37:38 -0800
I'm looking for some advice on adding network
bandwidth to a Networker server.
We are presently moving to configuration using
LTO-3 tapes fronted by fast disk staging area,
a big advancement from our previous configuration.
We are now able to easily saturate the 1Gb enet
interface on this backup server, so my attention
is now shifting to this new bottleneck.

The system is a Sun V440 running Solaris 10.
We are using the Sun-branded "Enterprise Backup"
flavor of Networker, v7.3.2 I believe.

The basic ideas I'm considering are

1) using multiple 1Gb enet at the server,
and somehow spread the load among them

2) trunking multiple 1Gb enets

3) looking into 10Gb enet ($$!)

For idea (1), can anyone suggest techniques or
solutions for how I might easily
spread (static partition or auto-balance) the client
load across multiple server interfaces?

thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers.