Networker

[Networker] AIT-5 upgrade & Networker version questions

2008-01-23 17:07:14
Subject: [Networker] AIT-5 upgrade & Networker version questions
From: Steve Barber <steveb AT TWINIGHT DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:59:11 -0500
I'm about to upgrade our AIT-4 drives to AIT-5s.  I don't see much
in the archives about AIT-5 experiences, other than a few cleaning
and scsi bus issues which sound like normal problems we've already
solved with AIT-4 drives.  So I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm currently running NW 7.2.x  ("7.2.Build.494" on Solaris),
  which does not seem to know about AIT-5 drives.  When was AIT-5
  support introduced?  Any reason I can't just continue to list
  them as AIT-4 drives for Networker purposes, bearing in mind that
  the size estimates would be wrong?  I don't do WORM or anything
  special like that.  I am leery of upgrading after hearing all the
  stories on this list.

2. Are the backwards compatibility issues truly gone with these drives?
  Can I let them continue to use the old media with no worries, and just
  phase in AIT-5 media as needed?  Any real-world experiences here?

Thanks,
Steve