Networker

Re: [Networker] Recommendations for new tape library?

2008-01-17 14:28:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recommendations for new tape library?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:23:21 -0500
>> ...but you say here you're going to LTO-4.  My big concern would be
>> in terms of being able to push data fast enough at the drives to keep
>> them from shoe-shining.  LTO-4 has a simply HUGE data rate.

A> That's the fastest, but LTO has slower straming modes.

A> My vendor got me a list of the supported streaming modes for LTO3
A> and LTO4, and the lowest mode on 4 was actually less than the
A> lowest on 3 (somewhere around 15MB/s or so from memory).

A> I might be buying some in the future purely for capacity reasons, not
A> for speed reasons.  If so, hopefully I can confirm that.

I've been told that the HP LTO-4 drives can ratchet back their
streaming speed in a linear manner from max down to 0, but I'm not
sure I believe it.

This person also said that the IBM versions can't do that, they
instead stair step their streaming speeds back in discrete chunks.

I'd be interesting in people's experiences here.

John