Networker

[Networker] Can't set custom volume label on LTO4 tapes

2008-01-16 15:07:34
Subject: [Networker] Can't set custom volume label on LTO4 tapes
From: Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:04:03 -0500
Hi gang!

I'm trying to setup a new Storagetek Sl500 with 4 HP LTO Ultrium-4 tape drives.

So far I've gotten everything working I've tried except the volume labeling.
No matter what volume label I specifiy it awlays labels the tape to be the
same as the barcode of the tape.

It manages to use the tapes properly based I assume on the tape pool which
is being set properly.

Networker 7.2.2 Jumbo
Solaris 9
Also in Networker I defined these tape drives LTO-3 since LTO-4 is not a
listed option. This always worked in the AIT world!

Here's an example:
# nsrjb -j UofMjukebox2 -L -b Sep -S 89
Are you sure you want to over-write 000001 with a new label? y
#
#nsrjb -j UofMjukebox2 -C

Jukebox UofMjukebox2:
  slot  volume                                    pool  barcode  volume id
     recyclable
     1: Cleaning Tape (70 uses left) CLNU00                      -
     2: Cleaning Tape (70 uses left) CLNU01                      -
     3:
     <snip>
    77:
    78: 000002                                    Test  000002 210655345
   no
    79:
    80:
    81:
    82:
    83:
    84:
    85:
    86:
    87:
    88:
    89: 000001                                    Sep   000001 193878527
   no
    90:
    <snip>
        *not registered in the NetWorker media data base

drive 1 (/dev/rmt/6hbn) slot   :
drive 2 (/dev/rmt/7hbn) slot   :
drive 3 (/dev/rmt/8hbn) slot   :
drive 4 (/dev/rmt/9hbn) slot   :

I've opened a case with EMC but wondered if this was the default with LTO
tapes or if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks!
Paula
| Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ/VE4HZ                    Room E3-628 EITC     |
| Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca |
| Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
| University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-7920  |