Networker

Re: [Networker] Tips for doing a DR at SunGard

2008-01-16 10:40:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tips for doing a DR at SunGard
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:36:09 -0500
On Jan 16, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Cox, Shawn wrote:

Hi Stan,

How will you handle networker's authentication to the data? I'm not at all familiar with UNIX/Mainframe or even with using a storage node, but you will have to scanner that data into a Networker installation somewhere and the networker installation must have the volume/media/security/registration settings identical to your source networker server. Do you have all of this Networker info documented so that you can rebuild it all manually? Additionally Networker is heavily dependant upon DNS. How will you restore without proper host resolution?

My understanding is that licensing issues are not pertinent when recovering data; only when backing it up, so this shouldn't be a problem ... I hope. I am not understanding why I need to rebuild my NetWorker server since I would only need to use it to read data off tape, stream it to a client's disk, then forget about the NetWorker server and return my magnetic tapes to storage.

These questions are a big reason why I am doing this test, but I hope to get it right the first time.

BTW Are you going to the Scottsdale facility? That is a fantastic facility and I have done my DR tests there for the last three years, but I'm 100% Windows. We are moving tests to the New Jersey facility starting later this year.

No, this SunGard facility is in Philadelphia.

Also one gotcha I ran into during my first test was block size differences between the LTO3 drives I use in my production facility and those on the Drives provided by Sungard. Fixed eventually with a call, but was a 1 hour delay before I could get anything going.

This is good to know. Who did you call? What was the fix? We are using the default block size for our LTO-3 devices here.