Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3.3

2008-01-14 10:43:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3.3
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:40:47 -0500
My answer to that is that yes, the initial backup is the same speed as going to tape (after all, it is the same network bottleneck between the client and the server). However, the clone and subsequent stage from disk to tape is done on the local host so no network latency is involved and will drive the tapes at their capacity so you won't have shoe-shining. So, you'll use fewer tapes and the tape drives won't wear out as fast either.

Frank