Networker

Re: [Networker] Encrpyption

2008-01-11 11:59:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Encrpyption
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:56:42 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
01/10/2008 04:35:00 PM:

> Hi Bruce
>
> I'll start the reply, and others will correct and amplify.
>
> There are at least three tape drives that offer encryption today:
>
> - IBM LTO4
> - IBM TS1120 (aka 03592 E05)
> - STK T10000A
>
> All of these require a supporting environment to provide key
> management, drive configuration, etc.  For the TS1120 and T10000A at
> least, this adds tens of thousands of dollars to the cost of the
> drive itself, in my experience.
>
> NetWorker supports encryption at the client only, during backup.  So
> NetWorker doesn't provide the ability to encrypt during the clone
operation.

I'm confused ... if I have a storage node with an AFTD drvice (disk), and
I have a clone job set ... wouldn't NetWorker encrypt the data to the
drive of the storage node. And if it then clones that drive onto tape,
don't I have an encrypted saveset on tape (because the saveset on disk was
encrypted)?