Networker

Re: [Networker] Copy Tape Only

2008-01-10 19:05:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Copy Tape Only
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 00:01:30 +0000
On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 06:09:49PM -0500, Simon Barbour wrote:
> Hi
>
> How do you copy a tape exactly to another tape?

Because one tape might not hold exactly the same amount as another tape,
this isn't always 100% possible (either inside or outside of Networker).

If you care about Networker tracking the data, you shouldn't try to copy
the data exactly.  You should clone the volume with 'nsrclone'.
Networker will copy the savesets that exist on the tape to a new tape.
However, if some portions of the saveset exist on other volumes, it will
try to copy those to the clone pool as well.

If your original tape contains only complete savesets, then all the data
on the tape gets copied, and it'll probably all fit on another tape of
the same type.

> Whether the tape contains full Save Sets or not.

By 'full' you mean complete on the tape and not "full backup", I'm
assuming?

Networker won't do that on it's own.  It will want to copy the savesets,
including portions that may be on other volumes.

You could use something like 'tcopy' to copy the bits from one tape to
another, but those are not tracked separately by Networker.  If they
have different barcodes, then it's even easier to create confusion.

> And can you copy to a particular tape?

You specify a pool.  If that pool only had one appendable, nearline tape
in it, or if it had a particular appendable tape mounted, then that tape
would be chosen.  I don't think you can specify a volume (just like when
you do backups).