Networker

Re: [Networker] Recommendations for new tape library?

2008-01-10 16:43:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recommendations for new tape library?
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:40:27 -0500
McBeen, Ben wrote:
I doubt this will ever happen. As of now I don't believe there are any options for this. What I CAN see happening is the devices moving to iscsi. That could eliminate many interface compatibility issues and future proof most components.

eSATA has been making inroads lately, but I'm not sure there will ever be eSAS. (yes I understand that they are all mechanically the same thing and that SAS is just a superset of SATA)

Plus, keep in mind that SATA type technologies are not busses. They are point to point connections. Any such device would be very limited as to where and how it could be deployed. You gain speed, but the device could not be shared by multiple devices over SATA.

You CAN get external SAS storage today. I know for disks Dell has the MD3000. LTO-4 tape drive support SAS, and I believe Dell's new PowerVault line of libraries has it as well.

As for whether there is multiple initiator sharing, I'm not sure, but I believe there was something in the spec that allowed it.

-Brian