Networker

Re: [Networker] Encrpyption

2008-01-10 16:38:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Encrpyption
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:35:00 -0500
Hi Bruce

I'll start the reply, and others will correct and amplify.

There are at least three tape drives that offer encryption today:

- IBM LTO4
- IBM TS1120 (aka 03592 E05)
- STK T10000A

All of these require a supporting environment to provide key management, drive
configuration, etc.  For the TS1120 and T10000A at least, this adds tens of
thousands of dollars to the cost of the drive itself, in my experience.

NetWorker supports encryption at the client only, during backup.  So NetWorker
doesn't provide the ability to encrypt during the clone operation.

But, if the target of your clone operation is a tape drive that provides
encryption, then you can encrypt during the clone operation.  Just know that
NetWorker will not be involved in the key management; this will happen
out-of-band to NetWorker.

Hope this helps.
tl

Terry Lemons