Networker

Re: [Networker] backup of nas shares...

2008-01-10 14:34:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup of nas shares...
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:31:02 -0500
There are two issues that I know of that people have run into in the
backup and restore using NFS/CIFS from a client:

1) Devices like NetApp support both NFS & Cifs. The qtrees may have
authorization acls stored either in NFS or CIFS format, or both. Backing
the device up via a NFS client might cause it to loose the Windows ACLS,
and vice versa.

2) The client itself has to have the right permissions, which has two
problems. One is maintaining that account and making sure it has the
permisiones to backup the files including in NFS/CIFS mixed ACL
evironment can be challenging, secondly having the machine mount the NAS
device with that type of privs opens up huge security holes that a
HIPPA/SOX auditor would love to whack you over the head with.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.otaotr.com     | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139