Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone installed 7.4SP1 on Windows yet?

2008-01-09 14:38:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone installed 7.4SP1 on Windows yet?
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:35:05 +0100
On 2008-01-09 12:55, James E. Pratt revealed:

JEP> Ok. I am fairly new to networker with a fresh 7.4 install that seems to
JEP> be running fairly well overall, and from lurking on this list-serv, and
JEP> my ongoing (small, yet annoying) issues with "Support" on this version,
JEP> I get the impression people are avoiding 7.4 altogether like a plague.

We are, at least. We're not done with the 7.3 series bugs yet. :)

JEP> Are you essentially saying that EMC actually released a new
JEP> version/update that does not even work, or rather they could not even
JEP> get to work/upgrade themselves? That is utterly crazy and sad!?

It is utterly crazy and sad. And the worst part is that this has been an
ongoing trend for years. I would say since about the 7.1 release. Finally,
they released 7.3.0 which was so broken that it couldn't prossibly have
worked well even in a small environment. But still they shipped it and
recommended people to upgrade to it.

I think the problem in general is that there are some fat dinosaurs in the
backup marked that don't really compete. Their customers have been trained
well, and have a very high tolerance level nowdays.

JEP> Any other thoughts from anyone out there running 7.4 on win32?  We are
JEP> finding bugs that are so simple and ridiculous (and some have been told
JEP> are patched, but yet are still not with hotfixes?) , that we are often
JEP> feeling like we are the only site on earth even running this thing?

Yes, this feeling is shared among most of us, I think.

//Oscar