Networker

Re: [Networker] easiest way to change expired savesets to browseable?

2008-01-02 01:41:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] easiest way to change expired savesets to browseable?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 06:32:59 +0000
On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 12:26:34PM -0500, E Gold wrote:
> I have a bunch of old savesets from 2006 that have the "E" flag, which i
> assume is for expired.

Correct.

> Besides using "scanner -i" or "nsrck -L7" on all those old tapes (hundreds
> of tapes), is there any way to make them browseable again?

Not really.  Those are your choices.

> Can I use nsrmm -e or nsrmm -w do do this without scanning?

No.  When the browse period expired, the file database (which is
required for browsing) was purged.  -e/-w change the dates at which the
purging would occur.  They can't recover the data once it's gone.

Changing them at this point can make the filesystem "recoverable", but
not "browseable".

> Also, can someone explain the difference between using "scanner -i" vs
> "nsrck -L7" to me ?

After a backup, the contents of the filesystem are in two places: the
saveset on tape, and in the index on the backup server.

'scanner -i' examines the saveset to recreate the file index of that
saveset.  'nsrck -L7' uses a backup fo the server's index (from a point
in time before the purge).  This backup is merged into the current

For backups with large files, the amount of time to scan a saveset can
be very long.

> Why do I sometimes need to use nsrmm -e or nsrmm -w after those?

If the times aren't changed, it might re-purge the information.

> All my clients now have a retention and browse policy of 10 years, but it
> used to be only 1 year when these backups were taken in 2006.
>

> Most are filesystem backups but some are NOTES module backups.

Module backups are different.  Modules don't really store "files" the
way the standard client does.  It serializes a database.  So there may
not be a real "file database" behind a module, and it is probably never
browseable.