Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on level 8 backup?

2007-12-24 12:35:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on level 8 backup?
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:33:26 -0500
George Sinclair wrote:
I could have sworn, though, that I read somewhere that a differential backup of a level n would back up all files since the previous lower number *or* the same number if the last backup was the same level. So, if you ran a level 6 and then another level 6 that the second level 6 would simply go back to the previous 6, not the previous lower number. Maybe it's the Unix 'dump' utility I'm thinking of that has that feature?

The traditional BSD dump command used the "less than" rule like Networker. I do however remember one UNIX variant that used a "less than or equal" rule - I want to say it was HP/UX, but I'm not sure.

-Brian