Networker

[Networker] Staging policy.

2007-12-19 13:11:52
Subject: [Networker] Staging policy.
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:05:22 +0200
Hello,

Our setup has a 4Tb disk backup device on Networker 7.2.2 (Solaris server). We currently have a simple staging policy which I fix from cron to the following high and low watermarks:

30 21 * * * /usr/local/TAUSRC/Local/ToolBox/fixstage.pl 'TAUDefault stage' 95 96 0 7 * * * /usr/local/TAUSRC/Local/ToolBox/fixstage.pl 'TAUDefault stage' 90 91 1 7 * * 3 /usr/local/TAUSRC/Local/ToolBox/fixstage.pl 'TAUDefault stage' 70 75 1 7 * * 4 /usr/local/TAUSRC/Local/ToolBox/fixstage.pl 'TAUDefault stage' 50 52

As you can see before the weekend (on Wednesday and Thursday) I try to leave 2Tb available for the weekend's fulls. Also notice that I lower the watermarks during the day, so that they will not interfere with the night's backups. This is not optimal as it means that we are staging some of the savesets too early. I am looking for an option to copy the savesets to tape, but keep them on disk and delete them only when there is no room for the new backups. This will allow for a more optimal usage of the disk space, while avoiding the situation of having to stage while a backup is already running and filled the disk. I couldn't find such an option on the stage policy window. Does anyone know how to do that ?

I know I can script nsrclone and nsrmm, to achieve similar behavior, but I am looking for a better policy.

  My fixstage.pl looks like that:

#!/bin/perl

open(OUT,">/tmp/nsradmin.in.fixstage");
print OUT ". name: $ARGV[0] ; \n\n";

print OUT "\nupdate high water mark (%): $ARGV[2] ; \n";
print OUT "low water mark (%): $ARGV[1] ; \n";

print OUT ("\nquit\n");
close(OUT);

system ("nsradmin -i /tmp/nsradmin.in.fixstage");

sleep 5;

--

-- Yaron.