Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node

2007-12-18 05:12:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB proxy as a storage node
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:07:28 +0000
This is excellent information. We have a CDL. We also have a L700 library that
is SAN connected.

  From your information i take it that i can now connect the CDL to the Tape
SAN and configure it to use the shared tape devices (or does it require
ownership of the tape devices)? I will then be able to backup data to the CDL
and clone to the existing tape library using 2 different retention policies for
each copy of the data.

  This will save us from cloning across the network to the existing tape
library and then manually re-labelling the virtual tapes to free up space on
the CDL (current retention policy is 3 months).

  I will ofcourse have to make sure that our current CDL supports this function
and will have to provide a fibre card for the CDL to connect to the tape SAN.

  Thanks, Mark

Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM> wrote:
  Hi Mark

"UNder what circumstances can the EDL be used as a networker storage node so
that networker can manage the cloning process? . . . I thought that if i used
the CDL to manage cloning then networker would not be aware of the location of
that tapes and that i would require a seperate tape library conneected to the
CDL to hold the cloned tapes." This is a very good question, and common subject
of confusion.

The EMC Disk Library (formerly known as the CLARiiON Disk Library, by the way)
provides an 'export' function as part of the base product. An export will take
a virtual tape and copy it to a physical tape. The virtual and physical tapes
MUST be of the same type (you can't copy an IBM LTO4 to an SDLT320, for
example). This makes an exact copy, including the NetWorker label on the tape.
So, when the export completes, if you have not selected the 'move' option
(which deletes the source virtual tape at the end of a successful export),
you'll have two exact copies of the original tape. The export function does not
communicate with any backup software, so backup software has no idea that an
additional copy has been made.

The EDL provides an additional, optional feature: an embedded NetWorker storage
node. You can use the NetWorker clone function to have the EDL embedded storage
node copy a virtual tape to a physical tape. Because this uses standard
NetWorker cloning functionality, you CAN copy from and to tapes of different
types. Cloning does NOT make an exact copy, in that the target tape will have a
different tape label. So the source and target tapes (really, the source and
target savesets) can have different retention policies. Many EDL customers use
this to, for instance, keep all backups on virtual tape for a short period of
time, and keep some backups cloned to physical tape and/or an offsite EDL for a
longer period of time. NetWorker makes all of the copies of the data, so knows
their location and retention. Having the embedded storage node work as a 'clone
engine' frees other storage nodes from this duty; cloning from a virtual tape
in an EDL to a physical tape drive attache!
d to the EDL is handled by the embedded storage node internally; the data does
not go back out to the SAN, and no other 'production' storage nodes are
burdened with making the copies. And you can use NetWorker's little-known
clone-via-IP functionality, to clone via an IP network over distance to another
EDL, or to another NetWorker storage node not inside an EDL.

EMC has a white paper available on Powerlink titled "White Paper: EMC Disk
Library with NetWorker - Best Practices Planning" [the path is Home > Support >
Technical Documentation and Advisories > Hardware/Platforms Documentation >
Disk Library > White Papers] that talks about embedded storage node cloning
best practices, as well as other topics.

Hope this helps.
tl